7.16.2015

Our Halle Girl



Thursday, June 25, 2015, 10:30 am

 I was 38 weeks and 6 days along and I was done being pregnant. Just done. I know I'm not the only pregnant women who has felt the feeling of angst at the end of a pregnancy, and sometimes there's just nothing you can do about it, but I was hoping and praying that she would come sooner rather than later. I went to my doctor's appointment that day, and my blood pressure was high. Throughout my entire pregnancy my blood pressure has been a little high at times, but with my due date being so close, my doctor told me to come back the next day (when I would officially be 39 weeks along) and get my blood pressure tested again. If it was high again, then I would get induced. She thought I had gestational hypertension (high blood pressure from being pregnant) I was absolutely positively thrilled that there was a chance I could have my baby the next day. Obviously having high blood pressure is not desirable, but I'll admit I was kind of hoping it would be. At this point my cervix was only at a 1, so my doctor stipped my membranes as well.

That day we went home, Kevin went back to work, and I started freaking out. There was a chance I'd have my baby the NEXT DAY and even though it's what I'd hoped for, I wanted to make sure I was ready. So I spent the day cleaning the house, doing finishing touches on baby's room, and resting because I was huge and oh my achin' back. I started to pysche myself out that we wouldn't have our baby the next day and that I wouldn't go into labor myself and would have to wait two more weeks to be induced. I was so ready to have this baby!

Friday, June 26, 2015, 11:30 am

Our doctor had told us to come in anytime and get my blood pressure checked, so we made our way there in the late morning. I was FREAKING out. I so badly wanted to get this show on the road, but it also scared me to death thinking of having a baby, because ouch. I got my blood pressure tested and it was high again! It probably had something to do with how nervous I was and that Kevin suggested we go up the three flights of stairs instead of taking the elevator. So the nurse went and called my doctor, and she told me to come to LDS hospital so I could be induced. It was go time!

At LDS Hospital my nurse checked my cervix and I was still only at a 1. bleh. She explained that my doctor wanted to insert what was called a cervidil in my cervix, which would open up my cervix. The only thing is that it would take 12 hours to open up to a 4. So, Kevin and I tried to mentally prepare to be in the hospital for a loooong time. 12 hours for the cervix to open to a 4, then they would do the petocin, so it was looking like we wouldn't have her till the next day, maybe even the next evening. So the nurse inserted the cervidil and it hurt like the dickens (seriously, ouch) and then it was a waiting game from there. It was 1:00 in the afternoon at that point, so the plan was that it wouldn't come out until 1:00 am. Up until this point in my pregnancy I hadn't experienced any really serious contractions, (just braxton hicks, etc) and when they started to come, they hurt. Ooouuccch. They started to get worse and worse and I was in so much pain. It got to the point where all I could think about was when the next one would come and prepare for the pain. My nurse thought it was a little strange that I was in so much pain already, so she checked the cervidil to see if it had made any progress. It was only 9:00 pm and I was already at a 4! Things were moving a lot faster than they had anticipated. My doctor was shocked!


They took it out and the contractions kept coming. An hour later at 10:00 pm I was already at a 6 and in a lot a lot a lot of pain. I have so much respect for people that have natural births. Like I think you are all rockstars because, ouch. My contractions were only a few minutes apart at this point and it was about time I got my epidural. So the anesthesiologist came in and relieved me of my pain. The lower half of my body went numb along with my contractions. Hallelujah. By 11:30 pm my nurse checked me again and I was at a 10! Holy cow! My nurse informed me that now we just needed to break my water, but then literally minutes after she said that, it broke on its own. But it wasn't just the amniotic fluid that came out, it was meconium, which means the baby had a bowel movement. This can be alarming because it has the potential to block the airway if she breathed it in. My nurse made sure the nicu nurses were there for the delivery, just in case she didn't cry when she came out, meaning she had breathed it in.

So now it was time to start pushing. I'd read a lot about labor, but I didn't take any birthing classes before this. I'd thought about it, but I guess I figured my body would know what to do. Kevin was on my left side and our awesome nurse Lynnette was on my right. Since I couldn't feel the contractions, we looked at the monitor to know when to push. I pushed, and I pushed, and I pushed. Baby girl never really dropped during pregnancy, so she took some time to come out. After almost 2 1/2 hours of pushing, she was about to make her appearance.

Saturday, June 27, 2015, 1:55 am

At this point my doctor came in again. It was go time. All the nicu nurses came in as well, ready to take the baby right after she was born. I'll never forget Lynnette saying, "Okay Madi, one more push, you can do it!" Her head was starting to come out. Kevin said to me, "I see her." With my final push, I heard her little cry, as our little girl made her way in to the world, I looked up at Kevin and we both had tears in our eyes.  That was the best feeling in the world. I can't describe it. Our little girl was here. Because she had to go to the nicu nurses first, I hadn't even seen her yet, but I already felt so much love for her. I was overwhelmed with love for her and for Kevin. For our little family.



My parents and Hillary and Tanner waited for a couple hours late into the night to meet her. It was so fun for them to come in and see their new little grand-daughter/niece.


It wasn't till later that morning after we'd gotten some sleep that we finally decided on a name. We had a couple options that we liked, but none of them seemed right. We really loved "Halle" but the middle name we had intended for Halle just didn't seem right. We both felt so strongly that her middle name needed to be "Colleen" After Kevin's mom who passed away when he was a teenager. It just felt so right to name her Halle Colleen.























One of my favorite moments of our hospital stay was on Sunday morning. It was a quiet morning, Kevin and Halle were both sleeping and I just sat there in my hospital room overwhelmed with love and gratitude. I couldn't stop thanking my Father in Heaven for such a wonderful blessing of my sweet little family. There was a knock on our door and two senior missionaries asked if we wanted to take the sacrament. So this cute missionary couple and another man came in. Before they said the sacrament prayer, they asked if we could sing, "I am a Child of God." So Kevin and I sang it with them, with our little Halle girl sleeping off to the side. I looked at Kevin and we were both crying. How could we not, really?

I am a Child of God, 
and He has sent me here
has given me an earthly home
with parents kind and dear. 
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, 
help me find the way. 
Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday. 


7 comments:

  1. Way to many tears over here! I love your little family so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome telling of a wonderful story. Can't wait to see your family grow and Halle live a great life. So proud to be her Grandparents, and likewise proud of you two fantastic parents. She is a blessed girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so incredibly happy for you and your family! She is beautiful, and I am so glad both of you are happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! She is beautiful. LOVE the name. We had our own litte Hallie Bell on 4-7-15 :)

    http://littlekingsnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am BAWLING in a public library. Like heaving breaths and snot and everything. This is BEAUTIFUL. I am so glad you wrote it out because all I wanted to do was sit with you and your precious girl and hear about all of this. I hate living far from you now more than ever!!! I love her already. And I love you both so much. It feels like Halle just joined my extended family. You guys will be the best parents and I am so so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is your extended family because you're her auntie coco! We love you and miss you so much Coco!

      Delete

);