4.18.2014

Spiral Jetty




Have you ever heard of the Spiral Jetty? Its okay I hadn't either. I never even knew it existed until I was in an Art History class a few years ago. It is an earthwork sculpture that was created in 1970 by an artist named Robert Smithson. Its actually pretty interesting and you can read about it here if you want.

I went with two of my good friends Kenzie and Ashley to go check it out. We're all in the same major, so we all were a little curious about it. So we piled in the honda and took the 2.5 hour drive to get there. It was actually a lot different than I had pictured it. Its right on the shore of the Great Salt Lake and is sometimes even covered. I had never been that close to the lake and it was kinda crazy. The beach was just straight salt crystals. I felt like I was walking on the moon or something. The water was beautifully blue, put perfectly still. It was kind of eery, especially because it was so quiet. I felt like I had stepped out of Utah for a minute. 






We found this abandoned place called, "the oil jetty" I guess there were oil explorations here in the 1980s, but it was crazy because we found a whole bunch of dried and wet oil just oozing over the sand. I felt like I was in an old movie and in some kind of time warp, as there were all sorts of pieces of hoses and pipes laying spread out everywhere. I wish I could have known the story of that place:




And this. What in the heck is this?


No comments:

Post a Comment

);