4.21.2014

Easter Weekend




We had such a great Easter Weekend chalked full of lots and lots of friends and family. That's really the best kind of weekend there is, in my humble opinion. 
We had one of my friends Jennika's baby shower this weekend! She is due with her little boy at the end of June. We had some lunch, opened some presents and had a great time. I love my friends! 
In this picture, I am the ONLY one that's not pregnant. I need to get with the program! ;) So many of my friends are having babies and its so exciting!


After the shower, we gathered a bunch of our friends together and had a barbeque at the park next to our apartment!  Our good good friend Fizz came into town from Colorado and so we all got together. I love our friends, we are so blessed to have the group of friends that we do. 

On the morning of Easter Sunday we headed to Kaysville for Kevin's cousin Sierra's Mission farewell. She is going to the Alabama Birmingham Mission. Her talk was amazing and I am so excited for her! She shared an amazing story about her mom and President Monson that I actually heard in seminary back in High School. Here it is:
In October 1975, President Monson, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, approached the stand to give his general conference address. As he began to speak, he turned to a blonde-haired girl sitting in the balcony.
"In the balcony to my left I see a beautiful girl of perhaps 10 years,” he said. “Sweet little one, I do not know your name or whence you have come. This, however, I do know: the innocence of your smile and the tender expression of your eyes have persuaded me to place aside for a future time the message I had prepared for this occasion. Today, I am impressed to speak to you."
President Monson continued with his address, testifying of the love Christ has for children and the faith of children. But when he closed his remarks, he again turned to the girl.
"To you, my little friend in the upper balcony, and to believers everywhere, I bear witness that Jesus of Nazareth does love little children, that he listens to your prayers and responds to them," he said.
President Monson returned to his office to find the girl, with her grandparents and aunt, waiting for him.
The young girl's name was Misti White. Misti had come to conference trying to decide whether to get baptized on her upcoming eighth birthday or wait, as some had advised, until she turned 18.
In a 2007 address, President Monson recalled their afternoon visit.
Misti had told her grandparents, "If we go to conference, maybe Heavenly Father will let me know what I should do."
Sitting in President Monson's office, Misti turned to President Monson and said, "Brother Monson, while you were speaking in conference, you answered my question. I want to be baptized."

Fizz joined us as well because he needed a ride back to Salt Lake. We love Fizz!

After Sierra's mission farewell, we booked it back to Logan for 1:00 church in my parent's ward, because my dad was made the bishop! I am so proud of my dad. He would never want or ask for this calling, but because it has been given to him, I know that he will work so hard and listen to what the Lord would have him do concerning the people in the ward. I sure love my family. Both of my grandparents were there too. We had an amazing Easter dinner with lots and lots of family over to celebrate the resurrection of the Savior. 

I sure love my family. But I sure miss those missionaries serving in Florida and Indiana. 

It really was such a great Easter weekend. There was such a peaceful, wonderful feeling to be with family and friends. And I know that I have that opportunity because of The Savior. I know that He lives. I know that He loves me and my family. I know that because of Him, I can be with my family forever. Because of Him I can be forgiven for the things I do wrong. Because of Him I can find hope even in the darkest of times. 
Because of Him. 



"We talk in great generalities about the sins of all humankind, about the suffering of the entire human family. But we don’t experience pain in generalities. We experience it individually. That means he knows what it felt like when your mother died of cancer- how it was for your mother, how it still is for you. He knows what it felt like to lose the student body election. He knows that moment when the brakes locked and the car started to skid. He experienced the slave ship sailing from Ghana toward Virginia. He experienced the gas chambers at Dachau. He experienced napalm in Vietnam. He knows about drug addiction and alcoholism. He knows all that. He’s been there. He’s been lower than all that. He’s not waiting for us to be perfect. Perfect people don’t need a Savior. He came to save his people in their imperfections. He is the Lord of the living, and the living make mistakes. He’s not embarrassed by us, angry at us , or shocked. He wants us in our brokenness, in our unhappiness, in our guilt and our grief."
Chiko Okazaki

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Madi for Re-capping the Sunday we missed in Utah while back in Boston. An added note to that story above is that I was the one who Misti asked to baptized her. It was before my mission and my first baptismal ordinance performed, and I was of course honored to be offered the opportunity.
    Thanks for sharing your tender and insightful observations on your live. We love them, and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Madi for Re-capping the Sunday we missed in Utah while back in Boston. An added note to that story above is that I was the one who Misti asked to baptized her. It was before my mission and my first baptismal ordinance performed, and I was of course honored to be offered the opportunity.
    Thanks for sharing your tender and insightful observations on your live. We love them, and love you!

    ReplyDelete

);